Yield: (18 small scoop) or 9 (large scoop)
* 2 egg whites
* Pinch coarse salt
* 1/3 cup sugar, eyeball it
* 1 1/2 cups, about 6 ounces, shredded coconut
* 1 teaspoon almond extract, eyeball it
* 1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 9 candied red cherries, halved
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt to soft peaks, then add
sugar and beat again until peaks are stiff. Beat in almond flavoring.
Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in half of the coconut.
Sprinkle in the nutmeg and flour, stir, then fold in the remaining
Using a melon baller or other small scoop, or working with 2 spoons,
form 9 "snowballs" a couple of inches apart on each of 2 cookie
sheets. Bake snowballs 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove
from oven and garnish each snowball with half a cherry and a couple of
slivered almonds. Transfer to a rack or serving plate to cool.