Yield : 2 servings
* 3/4-pound pappardelle pasta (wide ribbons, substitute fettuccine
* 4 large, thin pieces boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets
* Ground black pepper
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
* 2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
* 12 shiitakes, stemmed and sliced
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste, look for this in a tube (it's easy
to store that way)
* 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, eyeball it
* 2 tablespoons minced rosemary leaves, a couple of sprigs
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
* 2 tablespoons capers, drained
* 1/2 cup Marsala wine
* Grated pecorino Romano cheese
* A couple handfuls arugula or baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
Put a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta. When it comes up to
a boil, salt the water, drop in the pasta, and cook to al dente.
While the pasta is working, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat a large nonstick skillet with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive
oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the
chicken to the pan and brown lightly on both sides; remove to a
platter and cover with foil to hold in heat. To the same skillet, add
2 tablespoons more extra-virgin olive oil and 1 clove garlic. Cook
garlic a minute or so, then remove and add the mushrooms. Let the
mushrooms brown evenly and become tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
While the mushrooms work, start gravy for pasta. In a deep medium
skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add a clove of
crushed garlic and cook a couple of minutes then remove. Whisk flour
and tomato paste into garlic infused butter. Cook the flour a minute
or 2 then whisk in the stock. Add rosemary and whisk in tomato paste
and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer to thicken, 5 minutes. Season the
sauce with salt and pepper, to your taste.
To the cooked mushrooms, add capers and Marsala and reduce a minute or
so. Add 2 tablespoons butter in small bits to finish sauce and shake
the pan to incorporate. Slide the chicken back into sauce and warm.
Drain pasta and toss with sauce and a handful of cheese. Serve pasta
alongside Chicken Marvalasala. Scatter arugula or spinach across both
the chicken and pasta, to garnish.